Aputure Macro Extension Tube Set – For Nikon AI Lenses



A couple of weeks back, I received the new Aputure Macro Extension Tube Set (for Nikon AI lenses), I used this opportunity to review this product and provide my thoughts.  I have always been interested in macro photography and I have shot my fair share of flowers and dragonflies, and the occasional bee, using a standard Nikon 55-300mm lens. This size lens provides a comfortable focal length for shooting insects; however isn’t really true macro photography. 

European Honey Bee
Shot at f/5.6. ISO 400. 1/1250. 300mm
All three tubes stacked
The correct way to shoot macro is to buy a dedicated macro lens. However not everyone can fork out the money for a dedicated lens, particularly one that may only get used a few times before interest wanes and a move is made to shoot another genre. Generally speaking, a dedicated Nikon macro lens ranges in price from $300 to over $2000. 

Red Percher Dragonfly resting.
Shot at f/11. ISO 400. 1/125. 300mm
All three tubes stacked
That is where macro extension tubes are attractive as they cost a lot less and you can use existing lenses in your kit bag. There are two options when it comes to macro extension tubes. The cheapest is fully manual tubes and they cost anywhere from $5-20 (on eBay). They are usually fully constructed of plastic. They do not allow aperture to be changed on the fly or AF to be used, which adds an extra complication when you are trying to nail that one shot, even if you are using a fully manual lens with an aperture ring. In my opinion, you are going to end up spending more time fiddling with settings and inevitably miss the shot. 

Skink basking in the morning sun.
Shot at f/5.6. ISO 400. 1/320.300mm
All three tubes stacked
The second option is a Macro Extension Tube Set with TTL metering and AF. Aputure have released a new model specific to Nikon priced at $119. This new offering from Aputure builds on the success they have had with the Canon Macro Extension Tube Set.  These tubes are AF-compatible. They have electrical contacts, screwdriver AF pass throughs and aperture levers.  There is no optics involved so there is no need to worry about issues with glass distorting your final image.  
Aputure Macro Extension Tube Set – For Nikon AI Lenses

Looking at the product first hand, the first thing I notice is how well it is constructed. There are three tubes (12mm, 20mm and 36mm) locked together and all have a very solid connection to each other. The initial connection is tight on my D7000 which is reassuring (especially when you have expensive glass hanging off the end of it). The electrical contacts are copper with an aluminium alloy coating and the plastics and rubber look and feel similar to a Nikon lens. Even with all three tubes stacked and a 55-300mm locked on the end of them it feels very secure. There are big tabs to remove each of the tubes. You can use one or more tubes at once, giving you seven possible combinations. Build wise this feels on par with OEM, even my shooting buddy agreed everything just works well. 

Moth resting
Shot f/5.6. ISO 400 1/160 300mm
All three tubes stacked



I got a lot closer here
Shot f/5.6. ISO 400 1/160 300mm
All three tubes stacked

For shooting I am not going to bore you with working distance figures and ratios. You just need to know if it works. The answer is a big YES. I decided to try my hand at shooting insects (well, spring has sprung in the southern hemisphere).  I did have trouble getting AF to lock on using all three tubes at 300mm initially. I am not sure if it was just me because AF was hunting but not locking on (it does display the same AF hunting whilst connected normally as well) however stepping down to two tubes worked a treat (plus it was easier to hold). Trying another lens also fixed the issue (using a 18-105mm), AF worked as normal and was fine. 

The big plus for me was being able to change aperture on the fly, it means as the lighting changes or if I want to lower or widen the depth of field it just gets done as if I was using a lens. I also like that I could shoot at 300mm as it meant I had a lot of reach with is very handy for skittish insects.  I did find that I preferred to focus manually as the AF, as good as it is, sometimes focuses on a part I don’t want it to. This is not a fault of the tubes, just my gripe with AF systems in general, but when I did switch AF on it worked as if the lens was connected directly.   




Butterfly resting amongst the mulch.
Shot at f/5.6. ISO 400 1/1000 300mm
All three tubes stacked

Ants feeding on a paperdaisies pollen.
Shot at f/5.6. ISO 400 1/800 300mm
All three tubes stacked


All in all Aputure have produced another great product to add to their growing list of products, and have become an alternate to the major brands. I highly recommend this product if you shoot with a Nikon. As I said earlier, you could mistake it for something that came from Nikon directly.

Hoverfly
shot at f/5.6. ISO 400 1/160 300mm
All three tubes stacked

If you are budget conscious this is for you.
If you want to try macro photography but don’t want to invest in a dedicated lens this is for you.
At $119 to get into macro photography it is a steal. Team it up with the Aputure Amaran Halo LED light and you are ready to explore the detailed world of macro. 

Comments

Popular Posts